Fascinating. Reading @nathaniel thread about federating and cross-instance search for users (key need! yes!). Go to my other account on mastodon.network, and I search for @nathaniel - and the user profile I see from that instance only has 1 post/no pic/zero followers. Either different @nathaniel, or the data fetch is REALLY slow.
#Mastodon #Usability good article: https://opensource.com/article/17/4/guide-to-mastodon
- Search bar is hidden at top of Compose panel
- With narrow browser windows you get just one column at a time
- Your Username is tied to your #Local instance (server), but you can toot at anyone on the #Federated world of all the elephants
- Every server is run by a different admin
Three biggest :elephant: #Mastodon needs:
- Friendly *end-user* help for people interested in tooting, but who don't care about APIs, licenses, or how it works.
- Improved search. And an easier way to *find* :flashlight: search.
- Better and consistent /about pages for servers. Who runs it, why, where, and what will their policies be long term (and when will it get unthrottled). Federation is great - but your ID is still tied to one server.
#Mastodon: the newest #namespace landrush - but with a twist. :smile_cat: Your ID is unique, because it includes the local instance name. You can chat to other federated instances - since they are other servers, someone there might have the same name as you.
Learn more about :elephant: Mastodon: https://github.com/tootsuite/mastodon/blob/master/docs/Using-Mastodon/User-guide.md#intro :interrobang: